Table of Contents
- On POS, you can easily process exchange transactions after selecting items from a customer's previous order that they would like to return and then selecting new items in their place.
- The transaction will be processed as either a sale or partial refund, depending on if the net amount is positive or negative.
- After it is processed, a new exchange order will be created on the Orders list and new details will appear on the previous order where items were exchanged.
- Not available on Poynt.
- Must be a Freedom Package customer.
- Must have installed the Exchange app in the Back Office App Directory.
- Must not be using a Poynt device
Processing Exchange Transactions
Notes: 1. Exchange transactions are currently not available on Poynt terminals.
2. Tips cannot be applied to exchange orders.
1. Select Orders from the left navigation menu.
2. Select the customer's order that they want to exchange one or more products from.
3. Select the item(s) that the customer wants to return and select the Exchange button.
- You will be taken to Exchange cart, where you can see the returned item(s) in the cart, with the refund amount in red.
4. Add new item(s) to the cart that the customer would like to exchange for the item(s) being returned. Their price appears in black.
5. If the net transaction amount of the returned and new item(s) in the shopping cart is positive, that net amount will be processed as a sale and the payment buttons will appear in green. Select the payment type just as you would for a normal sale.
If the net transaction amount is negative, that net amount will be processed as a refund, with the payment button appearing in red and displaying the type of payment that was used in the previous order. You will be unable to choose another payment method. Select the red Exchange button to initiate the refund.
6. Depending on if the exchange transaction is a sale or refund, follow the same steps per each of those transaction types as would be done for processing a normal sale or refund for that payment type.
- The Amount due will appear in black if the transaction type is a sale and in red if the transaction type is a refund.
- If the transaction is being processed as a credit card refund, you will be able to swipe the customer’s card to return to him back what he’s due.
7. The receipt screen will either be for a refund or a sale. Select the Receipt language and whether you would like to Email receipt or Print receipt.
- If a credit card transaction, the customer will be able to input their signature (either on the screen or on the receipt, depending on what was enabled in the Store Settings Tips tab).
8. Select DONE.
Reviewing Exchange Orders
- After the exchange order is processed, a new order will be created on the Orders screen, with the Status Exchanged, in addition to the customer's original order where the returned items were originally purchased. This order will now either have the Status of Partially Refunded (if not all of the items from the that order were returned) or Refunded (if all items from that order were returned).
- If the exchange order's net transaction amount was negative and it was processed as a refund, the amount displayed in the Total Sales column will appear in parenthesis. If positive and processed as a sale, it will not appear in parenthesis.
- Selecting either order will result in their respective Order Details screen appearing.
- The Order Details screen from the original order will display the item(s) that were eventually returned in red, along with the Order ID for the Exchange Order in the item's Description column. If that Order # is selected, it takes you to its Order Details screen.
- The Order Details screen from the Exchanged order will display the newly purchased item(s) in black and the returned item(s) in red, in addition to the Order ID for the Original Order where they were purchased in the item's Description column. If that Order # is selected, it takes you to its Order Details screen.
- The Exchanged order can be voided on this screen. The original order will no longer be able to be voided.
- The returned item(s) will have Exchange as the Transaction Type in both the new and original orders.