- A payment card surcharge, also known as a checkout fee, is an additional fee that a merchant adds to a consumer's bill when he or she uses a credit card for payment.
- The rate of the fee must not exceed 4%.
- The charge is excluded from all other payment types (cash, debit, etc.)
- Surcharges are prohibited in 10 states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, and Texas.
- Surcharges can be added to credit card transactions after notifying credit card companies, such as Visa, MasterCard, and Discover, at least 30 days prior to implementing the surcharge, and after being disclosed to consumers prior to the transaction being completed (through signs, receipts, etc).
- Merchants can submit a notification form to Visa at: www.visa.com/merchantsurcharging
- Merchants can submit a notification to MasterCard at: https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/merchants.html
- Merchants can submit a notification to Discover at: https://www.discoversurcharge.com/
- Merchants do not need to notify American Express.
How Surcharges Work with eHopper POS
- Configure surcharges in Back Office.
- Apply surcharges on POS
- View reports
1. Configure Surcharges in Back Office
- Go to Apps--->App Directory and install the Merchant Fee Programs app.
2. Once installed, select Apps--->Merchant Fee Programs from the left navigation menu.
3. In the upper right corner, select New--->New Surcharge.
4. Enter Surcharge Name and Surcharge Rate. Select the blue switch to choose between either a flat fee or percentage (Rate must not exceed 4%).
5. From the Payment Method drop-down, select Credit Card. (Note: Currently, you need to have a prior authorization from all credit card brands, including Visa and MasterCard to utilize surcharges.)
6. Ensure that Is Active is selected and click Done.
7. Go to Settings--->Company Settings--->Merchant Fee tab.
8. Select the surcharge you want to use from the drop-down list.
9. Select Done.
- Follow steps 7-9 for each store, with selecting Store Settings from the Settings menu.
2. Apply Surcharges on POS
- Log in to POS
- Select Synchronize from left navigation or top right of page.
- Select any product(s) and the system will display the surcharge fee that you set up automatically.
- If a customer pays via credit card, eHopper POS will add a surcharge fee to the order price.
- If other payment types are used, such as cash, debit, or external payment, the surcharge will not be added.
5. Once processed, select to either print or email the receipt. This receipt will include the surcharge, if the fee was added.
- After processing surcharges, the system will display the info in the Merchant Fee Programs Report and Z Report.